Nintendo 3DS, Xbox One, PS4
November 11, 2014 (3DS)
December 17, 2014 (Xbox One/PS4)
Tetris fans rejoice! The latest iteration of the decades old hit, Tetris Ultimate has launched for the Xbox One and Playstation 4 consoles after launching last month on Nintendo’s 3DS. The long time fan favourite puzzle game was released way back in 1984 by Alexey Pajitnov in what was then Soviet Russia and is still going strong 30 years later with various iterations along the way.
With Tetris Ultimate, players can go solo, battle a friend, partner up with a friend, or create teams and battle each other. This updated version of Tetris features 6 modes, as well as letting you compare your score on Leaderboards, and stay connected with your friends using Social Feeds. The game also saves your play style with a Tetris style Drivatar system which allows you to play with or against your friends even when they aren’t online.
- Marathon – Get to level 15 and rack up as many points as you can.
- Endless – Go as high as level 30 and keep clearing lines as long as possible.
- Ultra – Get your highest score before time runs out in this three-minute challenge.
- Sprint – Clear 40 lines as quickly as you can.
- Battle – Go head-to-head to knock out your opponents.
- Battle Ultimate – Be the last person playing after using crazy power-ups! Go on the offensive with “Carousel,” and make your opponent’s Well shift to the left after each move, or trigger “Let it Rain” and dump garbage down on top of them. “Buzz Saw” helps you out by clearing away a number of your lines– especially useful when you’re in a spot of trouble.
Other than that, gameplay is good old Tetris – which isn’t necessarily a bad thing!
Tetris Ultimate runs for $9.99USD on the Xbox One and Playstation 4, and $29.99USD for the Nintendo 3DS.