Star Wars: Commander is Disney/Lucas Arts’ entry into the wildly popular city raiding/defense genre. I’m not kidding, it really is wildly popular, I counted three different commercials during the Super Bowl the other day and those aren’t cheap. While not necessarily as popular as Clash of Clans, or some of the other current heavy hitters, Commander does have more than a few positives going for it.
For one – it’s Star Wars. One of the most popular IP’s in the known universe, this is the only raiding/defense game where you can play as either the Rebel Alliance or the Empire, with the corresponding heroes, ships, and units that you’d expect to see. If that’s not enough, Commander also has the considerable muscle of Disney behind it. Disney has a history of making quality games, and having played Star Wars: Commander I can tell you that it’s a quality entry into the genre. The single player campaign is honestly more fleshed out than Clash of Clans, and there are routinely special missions that pop up adding additional missions, and unit types.
Today, Star Wars: Commander has announced several new features as well as a new limited time promotion, “Secret Alliances.” Full details are below. The traps and contraband features listed below went live in an update (on Android at least) a few days ago, but you’ll want to check out the new rewards in “Secret Alliances.” If you’ve not played Star Wars: Commander yet, there’s no time like the present. You can play on iOS or Android, and team up with your friends to fight against the Empire, or Rebel scum.
Read the full Press Release below
Disney and Lucas unveiled today its latest update to the smash hit mobile game, Star Wars: Commander. Titled “Secret Alliances,” the time-limited campaign has players fighting for the fate of Er’Kit. In addition to a new storyline and new gameplay elements such as Starships, traps and contraband, the game’s original character, Johhar Kessen, is now available as a new reward character.Campaign Reward units include:
- Johhar Kessen Hero Unit: Former senator Kessen’s custom sniper blaster, “Karina,” deals extreme damage to soft targets. While he can out-range many static defenses, his ability to damage them is low.
- A-Wing Starship Strike: The Rebel Alliance uses A-Wing starfighters to support ground forces. Their powerful weaponry employs an advanced targeting system, concentrating firepower to dispatch particle shields. (Requires Starship Command)
- HWK-290 Starship Strike: Originally manufactured without weapons, this HWK-290 freighter was outfitted to drop incendiary bombs. The bomb blast affects a moderate area, making it most effective against infantry, but also very capable for attacking enemy HQs.
- TIE Advanced Starship Strike: A newly developed advanced prototype of the TIE Starfighter line, these starships are equipped with a highly sophisticated target tracking system, making them extremely useful against shields. (Requires Starship Command)
- VT-49 Decimator Starship Strike: Receiving command of a VT-49 Decimator is considered an honor in the Imperial Navy. Used as a raiding vessel, this ship drops firebombs which burn a moderate area. It is most effective against infantry, but also very capable for attacking enemy HQs.
- Contraband: A new currency called “Contraband” will be introduced with this build. Players will be able to unlock a new, powerful unit that can only be leveled up using this currency.
- Traps: Players will be able to place three new traps around their base as a defense mechanic. Traps will have to be ‘reloaded’ using currency once they have been used to defend a base in battle.